A short song. The lyric is taken from a poem I wrote at school when I was about 12.Unlike the rest of the play this song was actually recorded around 2013 and has been gathering dust on a four track tape until now.
2. Phone Call 1
A cynical middle aged man leaves an answerphone message bemoaning the loss of Christmas true meaning.
3. First Christmas Day
A catchy pop song. This is a re-recording of a song that was featured on the album 'Afternoons' which was released under the name Cogs in early 2010. You can hear the original here on the link below. The original version was recorded in 2001.
4. Phone Call 2: A kindly aunt tries to persuade her nephew Jona to come for Christmas dinner. I named the character Jona after Jona Lewie; the singer best known for his seasonal hit 'Stop the Cavalry' amongst other things as I am a big fan of his music.
5. Driving Up to Keighley
The character Jona sings this song which may have echoes of another familiar Christmas hit.
6. Santas Blues
A song featuring sleigh bells written from the point of view of Santa.
7. Above the Rooftops
A driving rocker vaguely reminiscent in style of Silver Apples that further explores the point of view of Santa Claus as he makes his trip across the world delivering gifts and spreading good will. My friend Adam Stewart who helped me edit 'Christmas Night' together hits an electric guitar on this.
8. Christmas Morn
A short number. The music on this was done by Mats Davidsen from Norwegian pop group Painted Romans. Mats and I collaborated on this EP a couple of years ago.https://davidsenwray.bandcamp.com/releases
9. Unwrapping the Christmas Presents: Tensions arise as a family unwrap the Christmas presents
10. The story of the Magi
Taken from Mathew 2:1-12
11. Christmas Dinner
The contentious opinions and forthright personality of uncle Joe threatens to derail the family Christmas Dinner.
12. Christmas Night
A catchy synth pop jazz shuffle. Adam Stewart plays guitar on this. You can hear a radio remix edit of this here....
13. Jona arrives to bid everyone a happy Christmas much to the consternation of uncle Joe.
14. Everybody Likes to Have a Good time at Christmas
Jona sings this song accompanied by uncle Joe and the family to demonstrate the workings of the toy keyboard he has bought for the children.
15. Silent Night/The Bells (Outro)
You can listen to another radio musical I did for resonance called 'Clapton Pond' here....